top of page


Público·95 miembros

The Way We Were (1973)

A decade after the film was released, Redford, having made peace with Laurents, contacted him to discuss the possibility of collaborating on a new project and eventually the two settled on a sequel to The Way We Were. In it, Hubbell and his daughter, a radical like Katie, would meet, but be unaware of their relationship, and complications would ensue. Both agreed they did not want Pollack to be part of the equation. Laurents sent Redford the completed script, but aside from receiving a brief note acknowledging the actor had received it and looked forward to reading it, he never heard from him again. In 1982, Pollack approached Laurents about a sequel Stark had proposed, but nothing transpired following their initial discussion. In 1996, Streisand came across the sequel Laurents had written and decided she wanted to produce and direct it, as well as co-star with Redford, but did not want to work with Stark. Laurents thought the script was not as good as he remembered it being and agreed to rewrite it once Stark agreed to sell the rights to the characters and their story to Streisand. Again, nothing happened. The following year, Stark asked Laurents if he were interested in adapting the original film for a stage musical starring Kathie Lee Gifford. Laurents declined and any new projects related to the film have been in limbo.[16]

The Way We Were (1973)

In the movie The Jerk, Marie (Bernadette Peters) is sobbing over the demise of her relationship while a drunk Navin Johnson (Steve Martin) is writing checks for $1.09. He is badgering her and asks why she is crying and why she is wearing an old dress from one of their very first meetings. She responds "Because I just heard a song on the radio that reminded me of the way we were." "What was it?" he asks. She sobs in reply, "The Way We Were."

Good casting is always a matter of debate. Until a movie gets remade no one really knows if anyone else could play a role better. However, I would argue to my grave that Robert Redford and Barbra Streisand were absolutely perfect in there roles and no one could have done it better. Robert Redford's looks and presence were a perfect vessel for Hubble. Barbra Streisand really only fit 2 roles in her career perfectly. This one and Fanny Brice. Here her political views can easily get intertwined with her characters. In fact the reason she is so good in this movie is that half the time I do not believe there is a difference between Katie and Barbra. This head strong loud mouth that is Katie is also Barbra as per her movie persona. The definition of perfect casting.

And in the end you know that their relationship will not work. You know it before the characters know it. Still, time after time of watching it, you will still hope that somehow they will find happiness. Somehow it will work. But it never does. And so Katie, Hubble, and we, the audience, are only left with beautiful memories of the way they were and might have been. If only...

Empowered by her cathartic singing with her friends, Carrie walks to the The Plaza where, of course, Big and Natasha are exiting their wedding shower. She attempts to reenact the iconic closing scene with him, and he gets confused. His confusion comforts her, and Carrie walks away smiling. It is nice, I suppose, that they have really known one another, that they have shared an intimacy, lost it, and lived to sing about it. I wonder if I will do the same, but I try not to dwell on it too much.

Costume design for The Way We Were was a joint effort between Dorothy Jeakins (1914-1995) and Moss Mabry (1918-2006). Jeakins was unusual in that she freelanced, never signing a long-term contract with any one studio. She ended up leaving the production before it was completed and Mabry took over. Due to this, they were nominated for the Best Costume Design Academy Award for this film together.

As a reporter, he often interviewed Arthur Laurents, the screenwriter of The Way We Were, and Sydney Pollack, its director, about other projects they were involved in, but he usually managed to get in a few questions about The Way We Were, and that yielded a wealth of material for his book. Laurents died in 2011, Pollack in 2008. In other research, he interviewed its two still-living, iconic stars, Streisand and Robert Redford.

Hubbell Gardner: You hold on and I don't know how. And I wish I did. Maybe you were born committed... I can't get negative enough. I can't get angry enough. And I can't get positive enough.

Only one pair engaged in spawning activity. This was the pair that occupied the tank established with artificial salt water, although by this time the initial water had been diluted with natural sea water to reduce the nitrate accumulation. The pair in the tank established with natural sea water and local fish had problems with external parasites and had to be treated several times. Also, as they gained in size the suspicion that they were both females became more of a certainty. They are almost equal in size and both have the roundness of the abdomen that seems characteristic of females.

Toward the .end of the surface cleaning activity, the female began to make frequent passes over the rock with the tip of her ovipositor dragging over the cleaned surface. These passes became more frequent until after about 15 minutes the first eggs appeared. These were a bright orange-yellow, about 1 mm in diameter and 2 mm in length. They passed from the ovipositor and immediately adhered by one end to the rock. The female swam in a circular course around and through the cleaned area depositing the eggs as she passed. After every few passes the male swam over the enlarging patch of eggs and fertilized them. No milt (sperm) could be observed in the water, but even eggs placed one or two inches from the main patch were fertilized. During this activity both fish nipped at the anemone and caused it to retract from the area where the eggs were deposited. The nest was always made in an area covered by the anemone.

The third spawn hatched in 8 days and recovery was entirely accomplished by siphoning the larvae from the breeding tank after hatching. Many larvae were recovered but still only an estimated one fifth of the entire spawn was captured. Immediately after hatching the larvae swim rapidly and apparently without direction for several minutes, and if during this period they encounter the gravel bottom of the tank or the inside of a shell or other restricted area, they probably never survive to the free swimming stage. The total number taken from the aquarium from this spawn was estimated at 125, and a total of 115 were taken from the larval tank in the post larval stage. Thus recovery after hatching was improving and survival rates remained high. Great things were expected from the next spawns for most of the problems had been identified, if not solved, and confidence was high.

The larval tanks were rather small, 36 gallons, and were designed to provide the proper environment for the newly hatched larvae. Temperature, lighting, salinity, and water quality were all considered in establishing the larval tanks. The design of the tanks also allowed development of water currents and micro-turbulence that aided floatation of food and larvae. The larvae were fed all live foods while in the larval tanks. Specially processed wild plankton and cultures of micro-organisms were the first food and after three days the larvae were large enough to accept brine shrimp and particulate dead and dried foods.

Growth of the larvae was quite fascinating. The disparity of growth rates among larvae from the same spawn that apparently had equal opportunity to feed was quite large. A few of the larvae entered the post larval stage within 5 days, the majority were at this point of development in 8 days and a few took 15 to 18 days before they gained color and abandoned their pelagic mode of life. This great variance in larval growth rate may be more pronounced in nature and may have bearing on distribution of Amphiprion in the Indo-Australian Archipelago- Philippines region. Those larvae that pass quickly through the larval stages would settle near the place of spawning while those with an extended larval life may settle far from their place of origin. There was no apparent difference in viability between the fast and slow growing larvae.

When the majority of the larvae reached the post larval stage, about 10 days after placement in the larval rearing tank, they were removed and placed in an established 20 gallon aquarium to gain in size before being transferred to a 60 gallon grow out tank. At this time they were fed a formula similar to that fed to the adults but processed so that it would break up into many fine particles upon introduction to the tank. Newly hatched brine shrimp were also fed. The fry reached lengths of inch in three weeks and many are about an inch long at an age of 6 weeks. There are no signs of malformations due to malnutrition or any parasitic infections. The fry are very alert and active and even began intraspecific behavioral interactions in the early post larval period. There was one small anemone in the first juvenile tank and the newly introduced post larvae quickly (within two hours) occupied the anemone. I did not observe any period of acclimation by the small fish to the anemone. There was no noticeable avoidance reaction by the fish when it first touched the anemone, however, the post larvae spent up to an hour drifting about the edge of the anemone before entering among the tentacles.

The sixth spawn was also infected with the parasite within the eggs, however, only a portion of the spawn was lost. The eggs were removed from the parents a few hours after spawning and were treated in a solution of sulfathiazole and quinine for three hours. They were then artificially incubated in a methylene blue solution for the entire 8 days of development. The presence of the parasite was noted on the evening of the fourth day of incubation and on the fifth day 330 infected eggs were removed from the rock. Four more were removed the following day and the remaining eggs seemed to develop normally. About 200 eggs remained and hatching took place on the evening of the eighth day. Not all the eggs hatched, about 50 remained on the rock and were expected to hatch the following night. At this point, I made an error. The tank was not adjusted to the larval rearing condition because the remaining eggs were still incubating and about 50% of the newly hatched larvae were lost. Most of the remaining eggs did not hatch anyway, thus all the trouble and loss of larvae was unnecessary .Good experience was gained, however, and about 50 strong larvae resulted from the sixth spawn. Even in larvae 48 hours old, remarkable size variation occurs. Some of the larvae are already 6 mm long and beginning to develop orange coloration while others are still the size of a newly hatched larva. 041b061a72

Acerca de

¡Bienvenido al grupo! Puedes conectarte con otros miembros, ...
bottom of page